Monday 3 March 2014

Training at Corbinsbere on Sunday 2nd March.

Photo taken by Sarah Smith - www.purbeckpaws.co.uk


The lab retriever training session with Tracy Corbin today focused on marked and memory retrieves. Ivy was keen today,  despite the cold wind and constant drizzle which steadily got worse as the morning progressed. Our first seen retrieve was a shot and dummy thrown over a bank of bracken. Ivy went out straight following my instruction and flew over the bank to retrieve the dummy to hand. This  A  basic exercise is a valuable reminder of the importance of these key commands – Sit and stay.  The group were asked to command their dogs to sit and stay, walk out 30 yards. Turn and face your dog and wait for a minute. The trainer  then asked all handlers to start walking in a large circle around all dogs. This exercise is simple and so effective. Especially when you are in group training. If one dog moves, it could encourage another dog to move so I never assume my dog is rock steady. I always keep one eye on  her and occasionally give her a hand signal to stay. Putting in the ground work to establish the basics will pay off later on.  Our group had a new and challenging exercise today. I was positioned at the entry of a wooded cover area, told Ivy to sit and throw the dummy behind so she could mark it. I then had to turn and walk the dog at heel through the wood until we came out the other side. I then turned Ivy, gave her the command to sit, and sent her out straight, heading back through the wood to retrieve the memory mark. The aim of this exercise was to push the dog through the whole cover of the wood and out the other side so they do not think they are restricted to the wood, there are no barriers. She is also experiencing various types of ground to retrieve the dummy. Ivy achieved this well and we will continue to use the exercise this week as I feel it develops the dog’s confidence.                             
I've noticed today Ivy is eager to watch me and ready to catch the next command. I can see her brown eyes intent on my every move, just watching and waiting for a command. I see this as a sign of focus and loyalty.

Thanks to Tracy for a challenging and enjoyable training session.

3 comments:

  1. Great post, really enjoyed your writing. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, delightful! More please, Wendy and Ivy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comments. I hope to continue with my blog and I'll keep you posted on our training developments :-)

    ReplyDelete