Friday 13 June 2014

Alternative Gun Dog Training Attire!


It was a warm summer's evening and I wanted to try out my freshly cut grass strips for some directional training.
 
My girls asked if they could join in have 30 minutes of junior handling training before bedtime. 'Of course!' I replied...always pleased to see they are willing and keen. I pondered down to the end of the garden and told the girls to grab their training bags, dummies and whistles and I'd start doing some steadiness exercises with the dogs. Five minutes later the girls appeared...
 
 The onesie certainly is a fashion statement but for gun dog training...Hmmmm!

This week I read an interesting article relating to modern dog training methods written by Artikel von nina (http://www.planethund.com/eng/modern-dog-training-methods-softies-science-ethics-review-2005.html) She believes as a dog owner/handler your authenticity is important when developing a bond and mutual trust. Nina suggests that many training problems could be avoided or solved if you simply show yourself to your dog just the way you are. The youngsters adore their onesies, much like I loved my leg warmers in the 80s so they are only showing the dogs who they are and what they feel comfortable wearing. I'm just not sure if Jack my lab bought into the whole idea...

If the zebra hasn't got any dog treats then count me out!
 

2 comments:

  1. A fun blog Wendy! Love it! More, please. (And a onesie for Jack.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun training session! We're loving the warm summer evenings :-)

    ReplyDelete